Tennessee Lawsuits Against Doctors & Medical Groups
When a medical provider’s mistakes cause a patient to suffer a new injury or experience a worsening of a preexisting condition, it creates an extremely complicated and contested legal situation that will call for a medical malpractice claim. While all medical malpractice cases are unique, the common thread among them is that individual medical practitioners and medical groups alike will always fight fiercely to protect their reputations, defeat a claim, and pay nothing to the injured patient.
To make certain your medical malpractice claim is being taken as seriously as it should be, you should head right to the doors of The Haynes Firm. Our Kingsport medical malpractice attorneys have a long history of representing wrongfully injured patients and their families through difficult times and towards maximized settlement and verdict amounts.
We can take all sorts of medical malpractice cases in Kingsport, including but not limited to:
- Birth injuries
- Failure to diagnose correctly
- Hospital negligence
- Nursing home abuse
- Pharmacy errors
- Surgical mistakes
Discover your rights as an injured patient in Kingsport. Call (423) 451-4999 now.
Most Common Forms of Medical Malpractice
Four of the most common medical malpractice claims we have seen are related to:
- Objects left in surgery patient: Surgeons absentmindedly leave gauzes, sponges, and other medical instruments inside patients more often than one might expect. Foreign objects left inside a surgery patient always cause serious issues because revision surgery to remove that object is a must, and there are always going to be complications for any type of surgery.
- Pediatric malpractice: Pediatricians have a steep medical duty to interpret an infant’s behaviors and reactions as symptoms that can lead to a diagnosis. Although this is a challenge, it does not excuse a pediatrician who goes outside of acceptable standards of care and misdiagnose a child.
- Pharmacy errors: A pharmacist can put a patient in immediate jeopardy if they do not supply the right kind or dosage of a prescription medicine. Mistakes can occur due to the pharmacist not understanding a doctor’s orders, not knowing the difference between two drugs, or simply not paying attention to prescriptions as they fill them out and hand them to waiting patients.
- Radiological misunderstandings: X-rays, CT scans, and MRIs can all play pivotal roles in diagnosing a patient’s injury or illness, but only when the scan results are interpreted correctly. Doctors who misinterpret or misunderstand radiological findings are likely to misdiagnose a patient’s conditions as something else entirely or not diagnose them at all.
Get Free Legal Advice From Our LawyersContact us today
What is Your Medical Malpractice Claim Worth?
The mistakes of a medical professional can make a lifelong and negative impact on the patient. It is not uncommon for medical malpractice victims to need to completely change their day-to-day lives when their injuries or complications are significant. When calculating the value of a claim, our Kingsport medical malpractice lawyers will factor in all that you have experienced already and what you will likely experience in the future.
In your medical malpractice claim, we might be able to seek damages that pay for:
- Medical treatments: You should not have to pay for the medical treatments that caused more harm than good. You should also not be the one who pays for future medical care to alleviate the mistakes caused by your medical provider, even if that means you seek damages for years’ worth of rehabilitative therapy.
- Lost wages: When a patient is injured by a medical provider’s negligence, they can be literally taken off their feet and unable to work for months or years. The wages lost during that time and what are expected to not be earned in the future can be recovered through a successful Kingsport medical malpractice claim.
- Pain and suffering: Medical malpractice victims are often left as emotionally injured as they are physically harmed. The trauma of the experience can make it difficult to see a doctor again for any reason out of fear of more medical errors. Many people often need to make major life adjustments, too, which can make them feel self-conscious or downtrodden.
In rare cases, there might be grounds for punitive damages, which are assigned by the court as a way to penalize the defendant. Punitive damages are usually reserved for cases involving egregious negligence or intentional or criminal wrongdoing.
It is also worth noting that Tennessee limits damages for most medical malpractice cases to $750,000 worth of noneconomic damages, which include pain, suffering, emotional trauma, and punitive damages. If you were catastrophically injured, though, then the noneconomic damage cap increases to $1 million. There is currently no cap on economic damages, though.
Why You Should Get a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Medical malpractice cases are considered some of the most complicated out there by legal professionals. Due to strict liability laws and prerequisites that must be overcome when proving a medical provider’s wrongdoing amounted to negligence, they are also notoriously difficult to win. Also, courts expect plaintiffs to be able to produce at least one expert witness to add to the merit of their claims. Trying to put together a valid claim that demands the correct amount of damages is almost impossible on your own.
For these reasons and more, we must insist that you call a Kingsport medical malpractice attorney for help with your case as soon as possible. Our lawyers here at The Haynes Firm have a full understanding of liability laws, a record of success, and a network of medical experts we can access to bolster your claim with undisputed evidence.
You can’t improve on perfection.
No improvement needed. I couldn’t ask for a better law firm to represent me. You all are the best.