The Kingsport personal injury lawyers at The Haynes Firm have more than 70 years of combined experience helping victims of serious injury get fair and full compensation. Our dedicated attorneys are committed to advocating for the rights of individuals and families who have suffered an injury due to the negligence or intentional misconduct of someone else. We take pride in providing personalized, compassionate, and effective representation for people living throughout Tennessee.
Victims of serious injury deserve justice. If you have been injured or a loved one has been killed in an accident, The Haynes Firm is here to help. Call our Kingsport office at 423-928-0165 to schedule a FREE case review today.
What to Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer
There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of personal injury attorneys who serve Tennessee. Knowing what to look for can help ensure you are selecting the right lawyer for your specific needs.
When looking for a personal injury lawyer, consider the following:
- Areas of Practice. It is important to select an attorney and firm that focuses on personal injury. Look for a lawyer with experience handling cases like yours.
- Track Record. Look at your potential attorney’s success rate in obtaining favorable outcomes for their clients. Check online testimonials, ask for references, or consult with previous clients to gauge their reputation and effectiveness.
- Communication & Accessibility. Choose a lawyer who is responsive, attentive, and keeps you informed about the progress of your case. Make sure to select a firm with offices and attorneys in your area. Some national firms advertise in states where they do not have offices. Most of us want our attorneys to live and work in our own community, not just advertise here.
- Fee structure. Discuss the fee arrangement upfront to ensure it aligns with your financial situation and expectations. If an attorney works on a contingency basis, make sure you understand what percentage of your award will go toward legal fees at the end of your case. Be sure to also ask if contingency fees come with interest or undisclosed penalties. Some attorneys charge more if you don’t settle your case early, which may put pressure on the client to settle for less than full compensation
The Haynes Firm represents victims of serious injury in Tennessee. We serve Kingsport and nearby areas of Tennessee from our offices in Johnson City and can make arrangements to come to your location if travel has been made prohibitive by your injury.
Our small, local firm offers big results without sacrificing our attention to the needs of the individual. We see each client as a valued friend and are here to offer support, protection, and peace of mind as we skillfully help you navigate your claim.
Our contingency fee is honest and upfront, without hidden fees or undisclosed costs, helping to ensure our clients get the most out of their awards. We fight tirelessly, taking cases as far as necessary to help secure the most significant compensation and ensure absolute client satisfaction in every case we take.
Our Practice Areas
At The Haynes Firm, we have the experience and resources to handle all types of personal injury claims. If you’ve been harmed due to another party’s negligence, we’ll review your claim free of cost and obligation to help determine if you have cause for legal action.
While we have decades of experience, we don’t believe in a one-size-fits-all approach to personal injury claims. Our Kingsport personal injury lawyers are prepared to dedicate as much time as necessary to construct your case from the ground up. This tailored approach enables us to build the most robust claims while providing you with the space you need to make the best recovery possible.
Our areas of practice include:
Catastrophic injuries are life-altering and often require long-term, perhaps even permanent medical care. At The Haynes Firm, we understand the gravity of severe injury and are pleased to offer our legal expertise to help victims and their families secure the compensation they need and deserve. We have experience with all types of catastrophic injury cases, including:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Injury to the brain can result in permanent or temporary brain damage, often causing cognitive impairment, memory loss, and behavioral changes. TBI increases the risk for several medical concerns and is a leading cause of fatal injury as well.
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI). Spinal cord injuries can lead to partial or complete paralysis. They may also lead to issues including a loss of bowel and bladder control, sexual dysfunction, an inability to regulate the body’s temperature, and increased risks for premature death.
- Burn Injury. Severe burns can result in permanent scarring, disfigurement, and physical and emotional trauma. Similar to other severe injuries, burns are often fatal. Even lower-degree burns can prove deadly when they cover a large portion of the body.
- Amputation. Amputation injuries, whether from an accident or a necessary surgical procedure, can significantly affect a person’s ability to work and enjoy life.
Our personal injury lawyers believe the lifetime costs associated with serious injury, along with the emotional and physical suffering they bring, demand justice. We are here to listen to your story, explore all of your legal options, and help you choose the best path forward.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents are incredibly common. Tragically, according to the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security, thousands of crashes in our state result in injury or death.
The Kingsport personal injury lawyers at The Haynes Firm have experience with many different types of motor vehicle accident cases, including:
- Car Crashes. These accidents include those involving cars, small trucks, SUVs, vans, and other passenger vehicles. Often serious, passenger vehicle accidents can also be fatal. More than 500 people die in car wrecks in Tennessee every year.
- Motorcycle Accidents. Due to the lack of protection compared to other vehicles, motorcycle accidents often result in severe injuries. Motorcyclists commonly face unfair biases following accidents, despite the fact that the leading cause of motorcycle crashes is other drivers.
- Truck Wrecks. Accidents with semi-trucks and large commercial vehicles can be devastating due to size and weight differences. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration reports that a majority of serious and fatal semi-truck crashes result from driver error.
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Accidents. Cyclists and pedestrians are among the most vulnerable on the road. Shockingly, crashes involving pedestrians and larger vehicles are becoming increasingly common in Tennessee.
Distraction, speeding, and drug and alcohol use (among other factors) can contribute to car crashes. Having a team of experienced injury attorneys investigate your accident is the best way to determine its cause, identify the liable party, and begin the process of seeking maximum compensation for all related damages.
Dangerous or defective products cause multiple serious and fatal injuries every year. Some of the most common types of defective products include:
- Vehicles. From faulty ignition switches and acceleration issues to airbag and seatbelt failures, defective vehicles pose a serious threat to everyone on the road.
- Medical Devices. Hip and knee replacements, pacemakers and defibrillators, transvaginal mesh, and other devices—such as surgical robots, IVC filters, and CPAP machines—can cause serious injuries.
- Appliances and Electronics. No matter if it’s a heavy appliance, personal device, or children’s toy, poorly designed or manufactured products can cause electrocution, fire, and risks for other serious or fatal injuries.
- Children’s Products. Clothing, toys, cribs, car seats, and more have the potential to cause injury. When not designed or manufactured to the highest quality standards, these items pose threats to children of all ages.
A product can become defective due to improper design, poor manufacturing processes, inadequate oversight, mishandling, improper stocking, inadequate instructions or warnings, and many other reasons. When you or someone you love suffers harm from a defective product, we can investigate the underlying cause, determine where liability should lie, and fight for the compensation you are due.
Amusement Park Accidents
Amusement parks should provide a safe and enjoyable experience. But, when safety regulations aren’t followed, severe injuries can occur. Common amusement park injuries include:
- Broken or Fractured Bones
- Head and Brain Injuries
- Neck and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Drowning and Near Drowning
- Internal Organ Damage
- Soft Tissue Injury
Amusement park accidents can occur due to poor maintenance, inexperienced workers, inadequate safety measures, and more. Tragically, children are the most common victims of these accidents.
The Kingsport injury lawyers at The Haynes Firm know how to hold negligent medical professionals accountable for the injuries they cause. Doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals are trusted with our lives and health. When they fail to uphold their duty to provide effective treatment and care, the results can be devastating.
We are here to assist with all types of medical malpractice claims, including complex cases involving:
- Failure to Diagnose. This occurs when a healthcare professional overlooks or misinterprets symptoms. Commonly misdiagnosed conditions include meningitis, heart attacks, cancer, and stroke, all of which can be fatal when not caught early on.
- Birth Injuries. Failure to respond to infant or maternal distress, improper birthing techniques, poor monitoring, and carelessly medicating can lead to lifelong damage to a child. Special care, private schooling, and other expenses may all be necessary after a birth injury.
- Emergency Room Negligence. Excessive wait times, rushed treatment, and inadequate diagnostics pose serious threats in the emergency room. Sadly, these and other types of negligence often lead to additional complications for patients.
- Surgical Errors. From wrong-site surgery to leaving instruments in the body, surgical errors are shockingly common. These errors may necessitate additional surgeries, lengthen recovery times, and result in new medical issues.
Our attorneys have experience holding medical providers to account for their dangerous or careless behavior. This includes pediatricians, surgeons, family practitioners, OBGYNs, chiropractors, plastic surgeons, and naturopaths. We have assisted with claims involving the VA, state-run hospitals, private practices, and more. We welcome the opportunity to review your claim for free, help you understand your options, and guide you through the complex legal process.
Personal Injury Damages
The personal injury lawyers at The Haynes Firm in Kingsport can assist you in seeking compensation for:
- Special Damages. Sometimes called “economic damages,” these include medical expenses, current and future lost wages, property damage, and anything else related to your injury with a direct economic impact.
- General Damages. Sometimes called “non-economic damages,” these include loss of enjoyment, forced changes to lifestyle, physical and emotional suffering, and anything else related to your injury that does not have a direct economic impact. In many cases, these damages are actually the most devastating.
In Tennessee, there are caps on non-economic damages in civil cases. These are currently set at $750,000 for most injuries, and $1,000,000 for catastrophic cases. However, economic damages, such as lost wages and medical bills, are not capped.
A third type of damages, punitive, seeks to punish bad behavior. Punitive damages are rarely awarded in Tennessee personal injury claims but, when they are, they cannot be greater than two times the amount of compensatory (general and special) damages or $500,000, whichever is lower (see Tennessee Code Annotated § 29-39-102). If the wrongdoer has tried to cover up their actions to avoid responsibility, an exception to this rule could apply.
When you choose our firm for your claim, you can rest assured that we are doing everything possible to secure the full compensation you are entitled to. During your free initial case review, we will carefully assess your claim to help you determine how much your injury may actually be worth.
How Much Time Do I Have?
Most states allow two to three years to file a personal injury claim following an accident. Tennessee only allows one. This means you only have one year from the date of your accident to discuss your claim with an attorney, learn about your legal options, and determine the best course of action (see Tennessee Code § 28-3-104). This is true both for personal injury and wrongful death claims.
While one year is an exceptionally short period of time, insurance companies will often start making settlement offers long before it approaches. They know if they can convince you to settle, you won’t be able to file a lawsuit. Before you talk to an insurance adjuster about the worth of your claim, call our office for a complimentary case review where we can review their offer and help you decide if it is fair.
When you are dealing with a serious injury, one year can come and go before you know it. Many victims of serious injury are still deep within the recovery phase when this time limit approaches, making it essential that you waste no time in calling our office for your one-on-one consultation. We are here to truly listen to your experiences, assess the ways your injury has and may continue to impact your life, and help you decide how best to move forward with your claim.
Reach Out to Our Kingsport Personal Injury Lawyers Today!
The personal injury lawyers at The Haynes Firm are proud to fight for families living throughout Tennessee. If you have been injured or a loved one has been killed in any type of accident, we encourage you to get in touch right away for a FREE case review where we can give your needs our full attention. We have more than seven decades of combined experience helping victims of serious injury get justice. We have gone head-to-head with every major insurance company and their corporate defense attorneys, and we are prepared to take your case as far as needed in our pursuit of justice.
No Recovery, No Fee
With The Haynes Firm, you only pay for our services after we have secured a favorable outcome in your case. If we do not secure compensation, you do not owe us anything. We are fully committed to helping victims of injury get full compensation. Contact us online or call 423-928-0165 today to schedule a case review and learn more.
The Haynes Firm is a personal injury law firm with two locations in Johnson City. We serve families in all nearby areas of Tennessee, Virginia, Kentucky, and North Carolina.